Legislation of the Slovak Republic
The basic regulation concerning the electronic collection, records and enforcement of vignette payments is:
- Act No. 488/2013 Coll. on Vignette and on amending and supplementing certain acts as amended (hereinafter referred to as the "Act No. 488/2013 Coll. on Vignette as amended” or “Act”), which regulates:
- collection of vignette payments for the use of specified sections of motorways and expressways (hereinafter referred to as "specified road sections");
- rights and obligations of the users of the specified road sections;
- authority of the state administration bodies;
- authority of the Vignette Payment Collection Administrator;
- liability and sanctions for violation of the obligations under this Act.
Related legal regulations and implementing regulations of subordinated legal form that involve vignettes include:
- Regulation of the Slovak Government No. 410/2014 Coll., establishing the amount of payment for the vignette for the use of specified sections of motorways and expressways as amended (hereinafter referred to as the “Regulation of the Government of the Slovak Republic No. 410/2014 Coll. on the Amount of Vignette Payment as amended” or the "Regulation").
The aforesaid legal regulations can also be found on the web portal www.zbierka.sk and/or at https://www.slov-lex.sk/vyhladavanie-pravnych-predpisov.
Legislation of the European Union
Adopted legally binding acts of the European Union concerning vignettes include:
- The European Parliament and Council Directive 1999/62/EC of 17 June 1999 on the charging for use of certain infrastructures by heavy goods vehicles (EU OJ Special Edition, Ch. 7/vol. 4; EC OJ L 187, 20 July 1999) as amended by the European Parliament and Council Directive 2006/38/EC of 17 May 2006 (EU OJ, L 157, 9 June 2006), the European Parliament and Council Directive 2006/103/EC of 20 November 2006 (EU OJ, L 363, 20 December 2006), the European Parliament and Council Directive 2011/76/EU of 27 September 2006 (EU OJ, L 269, 14 October 2011), and the Council Directive 2013/22/EU of 13 May 2013 (EU OJ, L 158, 10 June 2013).